She looked at her watch. "7:00. Almost time to pack up."
She was about to start putting her supplies away when Lea walked up.
"Hey, Lea! Can I get you anything?"
"Just a strawberry shave ice, please" she replied.
"One strawberry shave ice, coming up!"
Lea's eyes widened as Kanani took out a giant pink shave ice cup.
"Wow, it's huge!" she exclaimed. Kanani giggled.
Next she got out a container of ice...
...Dumped it into the shave ice machine...
...And turned it on. The shaved ice swirled down into the giant pink cup.
When it was done she added the syrup, and...
"Voila! It's done!"
"Wow, thanks!" said Lea as she carefully picked up the huge shave ice.
"Well, I guess I should start packing up now..." said Kanani with a sigh.
"You ok, Kanani? You look sad." said Lea with a concerned look on her face.
"I'm fine..." Kanani said with another sigh. She looked down sadly.
"Are you sure?"
There was a long silence, then Kanani finally spoke.
"I-I...I really miss Hawaii." she said with yet another sigh. "I mean, I love Virginia, and I was so happy and excited to move here. I love the crisp air in fall, and the snow in winter. But sometimes I miss having warm weather all year and all the flowers. It's a little better during May and June, but at the same time it makes me think of Hawaii and I miss it even more." A tear slipped down her cheek.
"Aww, I'm so sorry. I didn't realize you missed it that much." said Lea.
"It's ok," Kanani replied.
There was another long silence.
"Come with me," Lea said suddenly.
Kanani packed up the rest of her things and followed Lea.
"The beach? I've already seen the beach." said Kanani when they arrived.
"I know, but it's really beautiful at sunset," Lea replied.
They sat down.
"This sort of reminds me of Hawaii, but in a good way," said Kanani.
The water sparkled in the golden evening sunlight.
After a while, Kanani stood up and took off her shoes, then wandered over to the edge of the water. She hesitated for a moment, then waded in. Lea followed her.
"Thanks, Lea. I feel so much better now."
"No problem," she replied. "You know, with that shave ice stand, I'm sure we'd be able to save up enough to go to Hawaii this summer. I'd be willing to help out at the stand too."
"Really?" Kanani asked. She had tears in her eyes again, but this time they were tears of joy.
"Really."
The end!
I know the ending is a little weird, but I'm really bad at ending stories, so...yeah. :P
Part 3 of The New Girl coming soon!
~kittymeow=^^=
No comments:
Post a Comment